Monday, March 15, 2010

subterranean

I couldn't figure out how to draw a hole in the ground so instead I focused on the creatures that dwell in those holes.

Meerkats. Timon and Pumbaa. The cute little things that are prairie dogs of the wild.

What also got me to sketch this was the idea that taking the definition of the word and putting it onto paper gets downright boring after a while. So you take it a step further and go to things that relate to the definition. Or in this case are but aren't the definition.

And I have to tell you, I wanted to watch The Lion King the moment I started drawing a meerkat just to hear the voice of Nathan Lane in the body of an animal. Got to love the humor that comes out of that man.

"That's not a king. That's a fuzzy maraca!"
--Timon (The Lion King II: Simba's Pride)

No comments:

Post a Comment